Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Internet Makes Us Angry

This is completely anecdotal and unscientific, but over the past six weeks or so the message board that I frequented to talk/complain about the Braves has been shut down for some reason.

And even though nothing has changed about the Braves situation in that time period, I am considerably less angry about the state of my favorite team.  I'm no longer angrily shouting into the void about their decision to tear everything down and be cheap with free agents.  I'm no longer engaged in hours long, pointless arguments that usually succeed only in reinforcing my positions rather than expanding them.

A lot has been written about how angry America is right now.

I wonder if the Internet isn't changing the way we process anger.

No comments: