Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grumpy

Took Thing One camping at the local state park.  Found a nice spot.

A group of twentysomethings pulled into the site across the road and put up three tents and started drinking and talking until 4 AM.  Needless to say, a nylon tent does not provide any sound insulation, so I was up with them, despite yelling at them to be quiet. 

At several times, I considered getting dressed and confronting them directly.  But my kid was asleep in the tent beside me.  And "drunks in state parks" sounds like the opening of a the tragic story of a suburban soccer dad who was shot in front of his 10 year old son.

The NRA once had a bumper sticker saying that "An armed society is a polite society." 

Um, no.  An armed society is a fearful one.  As I lay there - pissed - I thought of things I could do in revenge to the people who stole my sleep.  Peeing in their cooking gear.  Cutting their tent lines.  Peeing in their cooking gear.  Making a lot of noise at 8AM when we got up.  Peeing in their... I really had to take a leak by the end of the evening.

Ultimately, I didn't do this because I needed to set an example for my son.  That every conflict is not a fight and there is value in being "the bigger man".  Not because I wondered if the yahoos had a gun.

Which is not to say I didn't leave a note for the ranger about the illegal beer all over their campsite.  Maybe if he writes them a ticket, the state can afford to staff the ranger station overnight.

No comments: