Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Friday, January 24, 2014

Hopefully My Only Post On Bieber


There is a piece at the Times that suggests that if Bieber were Hispanic, he'd have been deported by now.

Let's all take a moment to say, "Duh".

But I'm not sure it's as much about race as class.  If Shakira had been up to such hijinks, I don't think she would be deported either.

I realize that Rosenthal is making a point - and a good one - about deportation, but I think we really need to think about and understand the fact that the Rule of Law - everyone is equal before the law, including the state and the rich - is currently imperiled.

There are one set of rules for the rich and famous, and another set of rules for everyone else.

Or maybe Bob McConnell will actually see the inside of a jail cell.  Not holding my breath.

No comments: