Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day, I Guess

With the Splendorous Spouse two time zones away, I was left to the tender mercies of the Things to produce a Father's Day.  So far they have either forgotten all about it or are coyly playing it cool for the big surprise later when Thing One announces he will behave in school, Thing Two renounces video games and my world becomes peaceful and serene.

You guess which is most likely.

Anyway, for more depressing Father's Day ruminations, I give you this:
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/downsides-of-being-a-dad?click=promo

I don't care about lost earnings or promotion opportunities I've lost.  I genuinely enjoy being with my kids.  But I've often wondered if my imperious temper damaged my kids, especially Thing One.  I know I'm a good dad; I know the boys need me around.  But being a father is the hardest damned thing I've ever done, and it's not going to get any easier until they are both married to sensible, level headed women who can take over raising them to "honorable manhood."

"Pack of cigarettes" indeed.

No comments: