Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Internet Giveth

On Thursday night, I was entered into an NFL draft prediction pool.  I finished 10th and am supposedly in line to win $1000.  We could really use that money, so Yay!  But the guy wants my Social Security number because the prize is over $600 and he has to report it to the IRS.  So, now I have to research this guy and the rules about IRS reporting for prizes.  He would have to report it if it was a horse race, but I'm not sure that qualifies.

When I got home Friday, we had a message saying we had won a Ford Explorer.  Mr. Google helped me out, and it turns out the whole thing is a scam.  So, in this instance having access to the Internet saved me a ton of time.

It's a weird world we live in.  Some guy runs a scam, but a bunch of strangers can help pull the mask off of him.

No comments: