Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

TPP

I have to say, I'm falling on to the Elizabeth Warren side of this debate.

Free trade agreements have been pretty much disastrous for American manufacturing workers.  They have been great for consumers, and obviously those two overlap.  But there have been environmental issues with free trade, labor practices, copyright issues...At this point I think the track record of unfettered free trade is pretty bad.  The EU could be about to crack up, so I'm not sure that now is the time to head in the opposite direction.

What I can't discern is why Obama thinks this is a good idea.

No comments: