Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Day One In Trump's America

Shaun King is keeping a twitter feed of all the shit that's going down.

Looking through it is nauseating.

But there is something else.  Most of these acts are acts of drive-by cowardice.  Anonymous acts of graffiti, things yelled from passing cars.  There are far too many direct confrontations in there, too.

So, here's the challenge, and it's especially a challenge for People Like Me: Every time you see or hear of something like this, you have to rush to the victim's aid.  No being coy or letting someone else handle it.  I'm terrible about that myself. I have bystander syndrome.

From here out I'm taking a vow.  Any time I see racist, sexist, bigoted actions, my first impulse will be, must be, going to support the target of that.

No comments: