Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Friday, April 13, 2018

Comey

Like many, I'm not necessarily of a fan of James Comey.  Like many, I believe the evidence supports the assertion that his letter publicizing the re-opening the Clinton email investigation effectively tilted enough votes to Trump (or away from Clinton) to decide the election.  This doesn't absolve Clinton of her mistakes or faults as a candidate, but she was winning by 5-6% when the letter came out and then collapsed to around 2-3%, which was the final margin in the popular vote.  Change a tiny fraction of the votes in Pennsylvania, and we are having a very different conversation right now.

So I'm not exactly slavering to digest Comey's new book.  I'm not eager to put coins in his pocket, and I'm not willing to spend hours consuming a book just to read confirmation that Trump is a douchecanoe.  I know this already.  I didn't need to read Fire and Fury and I don't need to read Comey's book.

It is interesting, though, how seriously the news media is taking this book.  I don't know what it means, because I just don't understand how anything Comey says is really "new."  The specific information and anecdotes are new, but I think we have a pretty good handle on who this guy is.  Still, whatever moves a few more thousand votes here and there....

No comments: