Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Vaccine Eeyores

 I have to agree with Dr. Wen here. I just got my first Pfizer shot (my arm feels like a 2x4 was broken over it), and the palpable relief I felt knowing that in a few weeks I won't really have to worry about this disease was amazing. The rate of protection from the vaccine is amazing. And if you get it, you won't get the serious complications. 

If the CDC can't sell a return to normal activities, then the marginally motivated won't get the vaccine and our attempts at herd immunity will sputter out.

A year ago, we had no idea what this virus would do, how contagious it was, how deadly it was, how to treat it. It remains very dangerous for the elderly and those with co-morbidities. We now know the vaccine basically reduces your ability to get the illness to almost nothing and you don't seem to shed virus if you have been exposed. Last year we cancelled reservations for my wife's milestone birthday party. I'm looking forward to going two weeks after the second shot. That's one reason why I'm getting it.

I realize that there are sound scientific reasons to slow roll a return to normal activities. And, yes, listen to the science and all that. But let's also listen to common sense. 

Tetanus can kill you or seriously mess you up. But I've had the shot and I feel fine working with rusty nails.

No comments: