Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, July 12, 2021

Cultism

 This is a fascinating bit of reporting - respectful but closely observed - about the new form of apocalyptic Christianity that is creating the foot soldiers in Donald Trump's version of America.

I have drifted into and out of the Episcopal church in my life. During a very hard time, I found the ministrations of two priests in particular very helpful. There is a solidity, a tangible realness, in some churches. I get that. That's real. My problem was the theology. I simply don't believe the Nicene Creed. I've said it a hundred times, but...nope. I just can't believe a God that is all-knowing, all-loving, and all-powerful can exist in a world such as ours. 

This new form of Dominionist Christianity offers community to people who are broken. That's great. But here's the thing: that's exactly what cults do. Cults don't acquire new members from those who are mostly well-adjusted and happy. The description of the sermons is a description of an America that simply doesn't exist. But that description resonates with people who have been broken by this modern world. It's a simple Manichean worldview that allows them to cast themselves as willing martyrs (one young man in the story fantasizes about being martyred in horrific fashion) in a titanic holy war between themselves and literal demons. It takes a messy world and establishes a clean order upon it. Bad things are caused by demons and we must fight using God's power which will be breathed into us.

I know as a "Coastal Elite" I'm not supposed to look down my nose and these "Real Americans." But, yeah, I pity them. I do understand why this simple, simplistic, simple-minded version of "faith" appeals to them. Personally, I've drifted more and more into a soft Buddhism as a way to understand the world. (Something those two priests I mentioned earlier put me on to.) Buddhism is hard. Dominionism is actually easy, because it absolves you of so much. It wraps you in a warm sense of purpose.

Religion - at its best - is a balm for the broken, but that should mean it is a personal relationship of faith. Dominionism is not, ultimately, about that. It's about forcing their views on the rest of us. It's about investing executive power in a corrupt conman who worked for four years to break our country (and may have succeeded). So in the end, while I want to be sympathetic to these people seeking certainty and faith in an uncertain world...nah. Fuck'em.  

No comments: