Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Last Of Us

 I do not play video games, so I had never heard of the game The Last Of Us. When I heard Craig Mazin was making an HBO series with Pedro Pascal, it sounded interesting. Reviews were good, so I started watching, because - as the name of the blog implies - I like a good zombie show (even if it's not technically zombies).

And then Sunday's episode dropped and like just about everyone I was absolutely floored. After two episodes of "the world as we know it ending" and "this is why the plague it terrible" that established the world of TLOU, the show crafted an unbelievably moving story of love and the meaning of life. What's more, the roughly 60 minute short film nestled within a broader apocalyptic story featured two men rather than a heterosexual couple. Further, it didn't feel gimmicky. The reason Nick Offerman's Bill was a reclusive survivalist was precisely because he was closeted and resentful of the world.

I rewatched it last night, just to see if it was really as good as I thought or just "novel." It absolutely was as good as I had thought it was, in fact a second viewing allowed me to see just how well crafted an episode of television it was. It stands alone brilliantly as a stand-alone episode, but it also points to the broader theme of the show, which Bills says at the heartbreaking conclusion: "You were my purpose."

Oh, and Nick Offerman should start writing that Emmy speech.

No comments: