Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

ARGH! I Want To Not Be Grumpy

Bartender, my tequila tastes like milk.

As I look at the Wisconsin Putsch, I see short term loss and long term victory.

So I wanted to post about how Illinois got rid of the death penalty because they decided it was immoral to execute innocent people.  Which is awesome and courageous and yay.

Or how it looks like there is no way, no how Newt Gingrich will come anywhere near the White House except on a tour.

But then I read this. Richard "I'm From Alabama: The Slightly Less Stupid Mississippi" Shelby is stopping Peter Diamond from becoming joining the Board at the Federal Reserve.  Diamond won his Nobel Fucking Prize on long term unemployment.

Honestly, the GOP's war on intelligence and education is never ending.  It scares the hell out of me.

When did America so aggressively court mediocrity and stupidity?

(Off topic, if you can spare a thought or prayer for a former student of my Beneficent and Beauteous Wife, Max Pacioretty.  He broke his neck playing for the Montreal Canadiens.  It's non-displaced, but still.)

No comments: