Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Things Are Getting Bad

I mean, that headline is kind of redundant here in Trumpistan, but I'm suddenly getting queasy.

I have presumed that the GOP tax cuts were in jeopardy, because there was no way to reconcile the desires of the Nihilist wing of the GOP with the Byrd Rule.  Then, they came out with a tax plan so cartoonishly evil that I figured it was DOA.  Treating graduate school tuition remission as income?  That's...I mean that's just evil.  Killing the SALT deduction?  Political suicide.

This tax plan is an attack ad written specifically for Democrats.

The GOP then doubled down by trying to remove the individual mandate from Obamacare.  I thought that might peel off Collins and Murkowski, but now Murkowski says she's fine with that

Right now, the only hope of killing this monstrosity of a giveaway to the 1% is to try and run out the clock, hope Doug Jones wins in Alabama (I'm feeling less certain about that recently) and then hope Collins and maybe Corker kill it on the merits.  I'm not convinced Johnson and Paul will vote against it because it's not evil enough. I think they will accept that it's just evil enough for them.

From net neutrality to elephant trophies to crushing grad students to giving away hundreds of billions to those who already have it...We really are being ruled by the worst people.

No comments: