Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, October 15, 2020

We Can't Survive This

 As the polls look worse and worse for Trump, he has taken to expanding the brazenness of his lying.

I don't think Trump will win, because I just think we are exhausted - as a nation - by his antics. I wish that it was all a principled stand for a more compassionate America, and a large part of it is, but I think in the end, undecideds will move solidly against him and Biden's lead grows.

However, it's absolutely true that the opposite could be true. Maybe the polls are just wrong enough and the later movers go to Trump, as they did four years ago. If so, I don't think American democracy can survive a post-factual landscape. Democracy is built on the informed consent of its citizenry and a distressingly large part of that citizenry is bamboozled by Trump's firehose of lies.

Among the many reasons to hate that man is the way he has exposed the terrifying gullibility of a substantial number of our countrymen. I mean, good Lord, even his skin color is a lie.

UPDATE: I mean how bad does it have to be to get even Obama angry?

No comments: