Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, September 28, 2026

The Economics of AI

 Josh Marshall has a summary of how AI is likely unsustainable economically, especially as no one really WANTS it enough to pay the prices that can justify the massive expenditures. Yes, I have colleagues who overly rely on AI (and that mildly infuriates me - do your job), but most of us are forced to imbibe the torrent of AI shit whether we want to or not.

I concede that it's a remarkable search engine, but I was fine with Google and a little bit of extra work. I;m not especially interested in paying for something I don't want.

While I may be an outlier (I'm almost certainly an outlier) I'm not THAT much of an outlier. The question is not whether the AI bubble bursts, but when.

No comments: