Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Libya

From the Hall of Montezuma, to the Shores of Tripoli

I sort of kind of followed the developments that led to our military involvement in Libya, but I have only half-heartedly followed the debate over whether it was the right thing to do.

I've heard a lot of comparisons to Iraq and the no-fly zone over Kurdistan.  OK.  I get it, they're Arabs.  Iraq is a quagmire.  I get it.

But it seems to me a better example of this sort of excursion is Kosovo.  When that happened, we heard a lot of the same criticisms of the use of air power as we are hearing today.  But Kosovo turned out pretty well.

I guess the desire to see failure before it happens is pretty strong.  But given the LACK of contrary voices before Iraq, I guess this is healthy.

I would like to see - as with Japan's nuclear armageddon that never happened - a little less judgment drawing while events are still unfolding.

UPDATE: This seems interesting.  Juan Cole who was regularly seen as prescient on Iraq notes the self-evident way that Libya is different from Iraq.  He is slammed in his comments.

It seems everyone wants to view Libya via their pre-held ideological positions as opposed to the facts on the ground.  If we wind up sending in the 82nd Airborne, the critics will be right.  I doubt that will happen.

No comments: