Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Days Of Rage

I am perfectly unqualified to discuss how many women are experiencing the Kavanaugh situation, so I will let Alexandra Petri do it.  What I find disturbing is that a not insignificant number of women say "No big deal."  I was disgusted to see that 54% of Republicans believe Kavanaugh should be approved for the High Court even if the allegations are true.  That disgusts me.  The women who say it's no big deal to be groped or assaulted are almost certainly Republicans.  The party line has been set, so they toe it.  If there is a better example of self-interst colliding with partisan loyalty, I don't know what it might be.

The hypocrisy of being on Kenneth Starr's team in 1998 and then angrily dismissing Blassy Ford's testimony is of course apparent, and I guess irrelevant.  Kavanaugh's sense of self will not allow him to admit to it, even if helped him weather this storm.  But for complete strangers who are women, to basically go with, "No big deal," over allegations of sexual assault...I don't even know what to do with that.

I've wondered if we should welcome a moment when Trump finally lets loose with the N-Word.  Let's just smoke the racism even further out into the open.  What we are learning is that if you identify as a Republican, you will accept whatever the party hierarchy says to accept.  That's terrifying for a democracy.  We need to win elections, sure.  But we also need to have fewer Republicans.

No comments: