Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Food Post

My Most Dear And Radiant Wife had a tough time while I was away.  The Things are.... a handful.  Seriously, I don't think you're allowed to start MMA that young.  As she had just finished her trial by Dean's letters, she asked for a nice home cooked meal tonight.

She asked about 4pm.  Had to act.  Apparently tacos was not an option.

I took the basic amatriciana sauce recipe from the new basics cookbook as my starting point.  Typically, I measured little.

About 4ozs of pancetta, fried in olive oil.  I then added half a shallot and about 2/3rds of a white onion, plus a glove of minced garlic.  Next up was about a quart of Campari tomatoes, pureed in the Cuisinart.  A splash of red wine, about a teaspoon of sugar and some salt (unnecessary as it turns out with the pancetta).  Then some chopped basil (about 7 large leaves) from the garden.  Simmer a little to cook off the liquid.

I had about a pound of sea scallops marinating in olive oil, a dash of sherry vinegar, something called Fox Point spice mix from Pensies Spices, the other half of the shallot and some extra ginger.  They marinated about an hour.  Then I seared them over the grill in a grill pan.  Served them over the vermicelli with the homemade sauce.

Perfect on a beautiful June day.

I have hearby resolved, whilst my Lovely and Beatific Wife labors in the salt mines of our teacher's training center, to cook her one fancy meal a week.  At least.  Otherwise, we're eating in the dining hall, because we aren't made of money are we?

No comments: