Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Snow White And The Huntsman


So, I just got to see a real movie in a a real theater.

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman, and maybe it's just because I don't watch as many movies in the theater as I used to, but that movie was bad ass.

First, you can't watch the movie without being in awe of the visual palette.  That is, I think, a more beautiful movie than Avatar.  I can't recall being as blown away visually in a movie since the last Lord of the Rings movie.

The casting has come in for some criticism, notably Kirsten Stewart as Snow White.  Frankly, I think she was great, until the very end.  She just didn't quite pull off the Joan of Arc thing.  But when she was simple Snow White, fair and good, she was really pretty compelling.  Charlize Theron continues to amaze.  To be THAT good, you have to be wicked smart as an actor.  Outside of Meryl Streep, she might be as good as any actress working.  Whatshisface, Thor, was good, too, until he had to give a speech with some feeling - again at the end.

The dwarfs were amazing, with some of the finest British character actors out there.

But the Dark Forest and the Fairy Realm were, to me, the highlights of the film.  Really magical.  I'm not sure if Thing One is old enough to see it, but I might welcome the opportunity to see it again to see if I was simply too blown away by the visuals.

Aside from the scenery, what I loved about it, was what I loved about the Harry Potter books: the simple power of decency and goodness to overcome evil.

That doesn't get old.

Oh, and Les Miserables is going to be a movie this Christmas.  Looks amazing.


No comments: