Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, July 19, 2026

And So It Ends...

Today the Men's World Cup ends. 

I has sad.

This has been the pinnacle of sport. Unlike the ADHD schedule of the Olympics, where you bounce from sport to sport, here you have multiple games of the same sport, played at the highest level. What's more, this Cup has been joyous. It has been dramatic (and controversial). It has featured the greatest player to ever play the game doing things at 39 that defy age and belief. It has seen tiny Cape Verde push the two finalists to the brink. It has seen fans scream and laugh and cry. Yesterday's 3rd place match - typically a desultory, listless affair between teams upset they aren't in the Final - was the most insane, entertaining game you could hope for. 

At a time when we feel more divided and angry at each other than ever, due to the unique attributes of Trump and the schisms that the social media algorithms exploit, this World Cup has been a beacon of joy and wonder. 

I am sad it's ending. I am grateful I was able to watch so much of it. 

No comments: