Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Watching the WHCD

Donald Trump on the hustings.


I was struck watching Obama speak to the White House Correspondence Dinner.  I was struck by how Obama deftly filleted Donald Trump, who sat there as the knife skipped in a so effortlessly and removed meat from bone.  I was struck by the dry humor of the President, especially on the issue of his nativity.

But I couldn't help but juxtapose it with this.

The impassioned video linked to above is by Baratunde Thurston, in which he vents his passion and outrage over the birther issue.  As he puts it, and I'm paraphrasing, every time Donald Trump and other Birthers raise the issue, they are saying, "Nigger, you can't be president."

I had always considered the Birthers a joke, much like the President treated them in his speech.  They are and should be objects of ridicule.  Objects of derision.

But I guess I didn't get the pain that this issue caused African Americans until I saw Thurston's video.  It was an eye-opening experience.

I don't have a clever ending for this - it's late - but I have to say, watching The Donald squirm as the President mocked and belittled him did bring me a more than inconsequential pleasure.

I have no idea if the President's dry, mocking tone was appropriate for what Thurston correctly identifies as a national outrage.  But I am glad that Trump was there, so that he could swim in the filth of his own making.

I hope it fuels the ego maniacal fire that drives his campaign.  I hope he sinks deeper into the fetid backwaters of racism and bile that he has waded in these past weeks.

And I absolutely hope it f*cking destroys him.

UPDATE: Seth Myers also lit into Trump, here.  Compare the stony anger on Trump to the good natured smile on Obama's face when each are ribbed.  There could be no greater display of what is right with Obama and what is wrong with Trump.  (And Myers is pretty funny, too.)

On the plus side, I now forgive the Washington Post for inviting him to their table.

No comments: