Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, August 28, 2011

God Save Us All


We are bearing up well under the tremendous onslaught of Irene.  It almost rained here a little bit.  And the winds can only be described as stiff.

It is apparently raining in some places a whole bunch.  And people may go HOURS without electricity.

Frankly, I'm disappointed.  I was hoping to do some looting, if only so that the punditry wouldn't be able to say that in New Orleans they scavenged for food and water looted, but in Nantucket there was surprisingly no looting.  Amazing.

But since Irene has turned out to be just a really windy day with intermittent sunshine, I am unable to make my socio-economic-political statement about the redistribution of wealth.

UPDATE: I went to the ferry to see when I could get off the island tomorrow and the strong winds literally blew SAND INTO MY EYE.  Who's laughing now?

At least out here, Irene has been similar to the Great Virginia Quake of 2011:



No comments: