Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Winter Olympics

Ice Break Dancing, The Newest Olympic Sport

I can't really get excited for the Sochi games. Back when there were only a few options for watching sports, it was cool to see out of the ordinary sports.  But today, I curled up on the couch and watched Fulham pull a shocking tie out of Manchester United at Old Trafford.  Do I really need to watch Team Figure Skating?  I mean the testosterone soaked spectacle of curling still holds an appeal, but honestly I am not compelled to watch.

I intend, however, to say that this is a principled statement against Putin's repression of Russia's nascent civil society and absence of press freedom.

No comments: