Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, January 21, 2017

I Get It, But No

I understand the impulse to want to punch a fascist in the face.  I do not understand the impulses of anarchists who attacked a Starbucks.  I mean, I don't understand attacking private property during a march against a governmental official, and I really don't get why anarchists seem to hate Starbucks so much.  Also, I just hate anarchists.  Freaking dilettantes.

I am sure that during today's marches (our family has 50% representation, as I have to work) there will be another episode of black clad assholes doing stuff they shouldn't.

And that becomes the narrative of the day.

During the Civil Rights movement, the radicalism of SNCC and Stokely Carmichael helped create space for King and others to negotiate the end to Jim Crow.  But that also requires someone of good faith to negotiate with in the government.  Der Gropenfuhrer yearns for these confrontations.  They validate his leadership style.

Now would be a terrible time to burn the Reichstag.

No comments: