Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Here We Go Again

 Trump announced his bid to return to the presidency with a typical rambling, low energy, dark speech about American Carnage. I have to think most Americans - by a substantial margin - are tired of this shit. I know Cult 45 will never abandon him, but normie people just demonstrated in this midterm that they aren't OK with people who attack the basic idea of American democracy. (I heard democracy defined as "a system to execute a peaceful transfer of power." Not bad.)

I do think that - push polls notwithstanding - Trump defeats DeSantis. DeSantis is a whiny little bully, and Trump and his minions will eviscerate him. Plus, as I mentioned, Cult 45 will be there for him. Hopefully, the primary is long and painful.

I also think Biden beats Trump and maybe flips North Carolina. I have zero confidence in the voters of Florida or Texas finally getting wise to his shit. 

If Trump runs, I fear Democrats lose the Senate, unless people start really abandoning him in the face of multiple indictments and revelations of treasonous actions. My hoped for result -Trump loses to DeSantis and starts a third party run, complete with down ballot candidates - seems less likely. 

Still, Trump's schtick is old and tired and he is old and tired. DeSantis has the charisma of a sewer rat, but maybe he takes the old fool out.

No comments: