Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

My Prediction

 I think Democrats lose the House, but it's not a total rout, as GOP gerrymandering has reduced the number of swing seats held by Democrats. The Senate remains in Democratic hands...I think, I hope. However, I can definitely see a scenario where rankly unqualified candidates like Oz and Walker win. The idea of a thermostatic election that swings from one party to another is predicated on there being enough non-aligned voters. Turnout, too, is a huge issue in the midterms. Can the Dems get enough pissed off women to the polls?

I also predict a messy night of returns. I'm very much considering turning off the news and my phone and going to see a movie or something. I don't want to watch that fucking needle at the NY Times crush my hopes for functional governance.

At any rate, Mandela Barnes and John Fetterman will stop hitting me up for money, so at least there's that.

No comments: