Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Peace on Earth, Goodwill Towards All People


A few years ago, when Thing One was really struggling with his behavior, the chaplain at our school talked me into going to his church.  There, I began listening to the sermons of Father Jim.

I was amazed at the wisdom that he expressed on a weekly basis.  One day, he told a story about this lovely old woman back in West Virginia who kept needling him about entering the ministry, and he said, "Shouldn't you hear the voice of God calling you to the ministry?"  He thought he was being a smart ass.

She replied, "What do you think I am?"

And I realized, that the all the sermons I heard from him, the wise words that carried me through a difficult time... Those were the words of God.  They found me when I needed them most.

Jim retired this past January.  My church going slacked off.

Last night, I went to the first service in the local parish church right around the corner from where I live.  For a year and a half the church had been closed, because the previous congregation was one of those right wing splinter groups over the ordination of gay bishops.  I went to one of that guy's sermons and never went back.

But I went back last night.  The congregation was intimate, and I knew several people from work and town.  We sang the church's greatest Christmas hits.  The church itself was lovely, if spare.

And the sermon reminded us that Christmas is about finding love and therefore God right in front of us.  Love/God exists as close to us as the breath we breathe.  Earlier in the day, I lost my temper with my rambunctious children.  My kids are the first thing/person/idea that I would gladly lay down my life to protect. But they are also loud, impulsive, occasionally rude, often violent with each other and cannot hear the word "no" unless it is shouted four times.

Holidays are tough.  There is whole genre of holiday movies/stories about the hell of the holidays.

But last night, I was reminded that too often we see the problems and the hassles.  Because we can SEE them after all.  You can't ignore it when one of your sons kicks the other in the face and gives him a bloody nose.

But here in this chilliest, darkest time of year, we are reminded that you can find love/God everywhere.  Even in a stable, surrounded by migrant workers.  And in this chill, dark time of year, remember to see the breath that billows from your mouth before your eyes.

Remember to see the love that passes all understanding.

It won't be easy.  And I'll fail more times than I succeed.

But it's worth it.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: