Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gail Collins: Get Off My F-ing Lawn!

                                                         Gail Collins steals my schtick


In today's Grey Lady Op-Ed sheet, Gail Collins encroaches on my turf.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/opinion/20collins.html?hp

Now, I like Ms. Collins a great deal.  I consider her to be like Maureen Dowd, but with an actual human soul.  She manages a gentle, yet occasionally pungent sarcasm - which is essentially to maintaining your sanity these days, if you job involves monitoring the world as it is.  If you can't laugh, you wind up like Bob Herbert and Paul Krugman, modern day Cassandras - prophets whose curse is to be able to predict the future, but only the really bad parts.  Herbert and Krugman are almost always right, almost always dour and I worry that they are going to engage in a sort of Howard Beale meltdown one day.

Anyway, back to Ms. Collins.

While I appreciate her as a writer, stay off my turf.  She wanders into the same zombie metaphor that launched this site.

Now, to complete the metaphor, as a zombie-watcher, I can say that you have to be very careful about encroaching on other people's turf during a zombie outbreak.  During the Zombie Apocalypse, we will have to fear the walking dead, but also those humans who threaten our islands of sanctuary.  This blog has become my island of sanctuary.  My own Howard Beale moment.

So back off Grey Lady.

No comments: