Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gone Galt House

Teach your children well.

So, Day One is in the books.  

When teaching history to high school students, we inevitably get asked, "Do we need to know dates?"

And I always say, "You need to understand cause and effect, but specific dates are not important."

I need to stop saying that to my AP students.  I'm reading a question about resistance to immigration in the 1840s to 1850s and 1910s to 1920s.  You'd be surprised how many kids work Pearl Harbor in there.

Looks like a good week to be (sort of) away from blogging, as I really have nothing to say about Anthony Weiner's wiener.

I did see two things worth noting:

First, Moody's will downgrade the US bond rating in mid-July if there is no deal on extending the debt ceiling.  Good.  I would've preferred an earlier date to get the GOP to face reality.  But good.

Second, an international panel of political and economic experts have concluded that the war on drugs is lost. I guess that's been kind of self-evident to me for a few years, but whatever it takes.  

No comments: