Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Fun Tool

 This interactive page allows you to monkey around with 2016 voting groups and see what gets either candidate to 270 EV. One problem I noted was that no matter how I fooled around with it, I couldn't turn Arizona blue until I completely erased Republican net support among 65+. This, despite Biden being anywhere from +10 to -3 in the polls. That's a pretty wide range, but it certainly suggests that Arizona is a swing state. My guess is that because the model only allows you to track certain demographics at one time, you won't be able to account for improvement among whites with college degrees AND increased black turnout AND increased support for Dems among people over 65.

Still, it's fun.

No comments: