Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, January 17, 2022

Evangelical Authoritarianism

 Nancy Le Tourneau has a run down on how a "Christian" afterschool program teaches kids to accept patrimonial authoritarianism. This was in response to Fucker Carlson running a fear special on a Satanic After School Club.

My son had some fun with Satanism a few years back. He's militantly unreligious, and he seized on "LeVayan Satanism" as a way to mock religion in general. While there are real devotees of Satanism who seize on it's ethical practices of self-realization, there's another strain designed to poke fun at religion, especially Christianity. Frankly, I prefer the Church of Pastafarianism, but to each her own.

I've been in and out of the Episcopal Church most of my life. At the moment I'm more interested in Neo-Stoic philosophy and ethical Buddhism, but at one point, the church was important for my mental and emotional health, because of the compassionate ministers I was lucky to find.

The texts Le Tourneau has found focus on Old Testament bullshit that is designed to scare children into obedience and cow before authority. Their God is an angry, vengeful fucker who wants blood sacrifices. The Jesus of the Beatitudes is nowhere to be seen.

If Satanists want to take a run at them, be my guest.

No comments: