Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, January 9, 2022

You Are All Replaceable

 I am opposed to term limits, because I think there are benefits to wisdom and experience, but I agree with Paul Campos that we need a mandatory retirement age for our elected and appointed public officials. People's bodies are living longer than ever, but there is inevitable decline with age. Look, I've seen Joe Biden a few times over the decades on the streets of Nantucket. He's physically frailer than I would like to admit. 

I would support a constitutional amendment mandating retirement for Supreme Court justices at 75. I would go further and say that you may not run for office over the age of 75 either. 

People will get elected until they are literally rolled out in a hearse. That's not necessary. No one is irreplaceable. 

No comments: