Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Joe Lieberman Is Dead

 I know this happened a few days ago, but I've been traveling. 

There are a few people I hate. Most odious creatures of the Right like Matt Gaetz or Marjorie Traitor Greene are more curiosities, oddities that you stop, look at mouth agape. Trump I hate.

One person I hated with such a crystalline passion was Joe Lieberman. He was the Senator from my state (not my Senator) from 2000 until Chris Murphy finally bounced his soggy ass from the Senate.

I was frustrated by Joe Manchin, but I get why he did what he did. Democrats have to be a big tent party and that includes fairly conservative guys from West Virginia. I disagree with his principles, but I believe he had them. (Sinema has no principles that I can discern.)

Joe Lieberman represented one of the strongest Democratic states in the country, and he represented it from about as far right in the Democratic Party as you can be. He was a sanctimonious prick who was deeply in love with himself. I've actively marched for very few candidates or done phone banking, because I'm not convinced of its efficacy and I'm an introvert, especially on the phone. I did both for Ned Lamont when he took on Lieberman. 

So far, the last six months have claimed Henry Kissinger and Joe Lieberman. Yes, it claimed Alexei Navalny, but he was dead the minute he entered that prison, it just took a long time for his heart to stop. Meanwhile Jimmy Carter hangs on while this fucker died.

Trump's hamburdler has the opportunity to do the funniest thing.

No comments: