Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, June 27, 2024

I Learned Nearly Nothing; You Are Learning Nearly Nothing

 I can't say I learned a great deal at my workshop. One concept we returned to was "settled issues" and the idea that all statements must be supported by facts.

Anyway, that seems to be non-operative for tonight's debate.

Now, I don't care for debates anyway. They have pretty much zero to do with how you go about the job of being president. Still, Biden had a job to do. As I'm writing, the overall first impression was that he came out with a hoarse voice and tried to land his prepared talking points. He is - according to my preferred sources - growing into the debate.

What's amazing - and why I don't like these bullshit debates - is that Trump is lying with a remarkable frequency, but Biden got crushed on the optics early. Even if he grows into the world's greatest debater, the first impression will haunt him.

That's simply a terrible way to decide who a president will be.

Nevertheless, expect there to be a lot of calls from the fainting couch for Biden to step aside. That ship, for better or worse, has passed.


No comments: