Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hey, Joe, Where You Going With That Glum In Your Hands

Lieberman rides off into history...

So, the Senior Senator from my state is retiring.  

I have to say, I'm ambivalent.  I would have much preferred he lose at the polls to a dignified withdrawals and his inevitable setting up camp the in the Green Room of Meet the Press, as he spends the next two years as the voice of official DC approved bipartisanship.

It's a somewhat oddly timed decision.  He was the legitimate hero of DADT repeal, and I suppose he could have pivoted hard left off of that.  Or maybe despite being a mensch on the issue, his polls numbers remained anchored here in CT.  And part of me always worried that he'd slip through the grasp of the electoral grim reaper once more, as he did in his mendacious 2006 campaign.  So that part of me is glad he's not running at all.

Part of me suspects that he got assurances from the Obama team that if he drops out now and allows either Bysiewicz or Murphy a chance to get a leg up on the election, he will be given some post in 2012.

I could see Secretary of Defense.  It would allow them to keep a hawk in that post, but one who seems committed to DADT repeal and has spent a long time on the Senate Armed Forces committee as well as Homeland Security.

I'm not saying I approve of the move, but I could see it happening.  With Malloy in the Governor's Mansion, I could see Lieberman taking over the Pentagon even sooner if the Dems want to anoint an heir.  

At this point I have to say that I've met Chris Murphy a few times, and despite the unseemly crush my wife has on him, he's a great guy and a tremendous public servant.  I don't know Bysiewicz that well, but he would be my first choice.

I also want to point out for those who know me, that in keeping with the President's call for more civility in our public discourse I did not call Lieberman a ^#U#%%@**%#&$)#&# like I wanted to.

UPDATE: McCain agrees with me, so I must be wrong.
http://tbogg.firedoglake.com/2011/01/19/gonna-put-it-in-the-dont-want-ads/

No comments: