Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Sanity Post

January is death for teachers and students.  It's a long, slow, dark march into fatigue and oblivion.  Many colleges don't even meet regular classes in January.

Anyway, today was one of those days when I just felt like I'd been beating my head against the same damn wall for too long.  The great thing about working with kids is that every day is different.  The worst part is every year is the same.

So, as a measure of impulsive solace, I bought a CD, which I rarely do anymore.  I'm glad I did.  It was excellent.  I first heard of The Decemberists when they opened for an Obama rally in Portland.  The rally drew about 75,000 people and right wing talkers and bloggers opined that the only reason people showed up was to hear the opening band, The Decemberists.  To which almost everyone outside of the greater Portland area said, "Who the hell are The Decemberists.

Turns out... They are AWESOME.  Their new album The King Is Dead is tremendous.

Have a listen:

No comments: