Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The President's Speech

Obama: Family man or vampire who sucks children's blood.  Opinions differ.

I just read Obama's speech at Tucson.  I don't like watching his speeches, though he is a fine orator.  I just think he's a better writer.  While I have no doubt that much of the speech was written for him, I also think he probably had more of a hand in this than he would is, say, his prepared remarks after meeting the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic.  

Anyway, I had tears running down my cheeks at the end.  Admittedly, I'm tired and +1, but the little moments that he included, especially about the men who threw themselves over their wives to protect them and Christina Green... I get choked up every time I think of her.  When Obama says this:

And in Christina...in Christina we see all of our children. So curious, so trusting, so energetic and full of magic.
So deserving of our love.


How do you not well up?  Especially when your own child was but a day younger than she is?

I understand the event was a little vocal and some conservative commentators have already linked it to the Wellstone memorial service.  I didn't watch it, I can't pass judgment.  

But I am happy that the President has once again impressed upon us the need to be "big" and not petty and small.

It was a very good speech.  A very fine sentiment.

UPDATE: I watched.  Even better.  The applause wasn't off putting, it's 27,000 people in a gym doing polite golf claps.  The whistling and hooting at times was a little odd, but, hey, college students.

No comments: