Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, January 10, 2011

Sick



This seemed better...

I'm sick.

No, literally.  I mean I'm sick about what happened in Tucson, but I'm also just miserably sick.  And I hear we're going to get a foot of snow on Wednesday.

I remember the other day watching Thing One and Thing Two playing joyfully in the yard with our dog.  And they weren't trying to maim or even dominate each other.  Just two boys running around with a dog.  I had no grading over my head, my work was caught up.

I felt good.

I'm such a sucker.

In another somewhat sad note, Dick Winters, the inspirational officer in Band of Brothers, died.  He was 92.  I say somewhat sad, because when you parachute into Normandy, assume the command of your company because the CO dies, win the DSC in an action that changes the course of the Utah beach landings, parachute into Holland, hold the line at Bastogne, liberate a concentration camp and seize Berchtesgaden, and THEN go on to a happy and successful life that stretches decades... What a run.

I watched The Pacific, but what separated that miniseries from Band of Brothers was there was no Dick Winters, no eminently human, humble man to focus the story on.

He always said he wasn't a hero, and with all due respect, he was wrong about that.

Watch this, the first guy speaking is Winters.

And this...
 And lastly, this

No comments: