Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Graduation Day

The devolution of knowledge.

We graduate our seniors today.  It's always an ambivalent day for me.  After the AP exams conclude, the Seniors go into a vacation mode that can be quite aggravating.  Some schools have their seniors use that time to do internships or community service.  The school I used to work at sent them away for four or five days, just to clear the campus from the distraction.

We don't do that, so in some ways, by today, you just want them gone, so the underclassmen can prepare for their exams.

But then, once graduation begins and you see these young people, some of whom you remember as scared freshmen, get awards and diplomas, and you see where they are headed for college, you are reminded of the good work you did do for four years, rather than the aggravation of the past two weeks.

After 17 years, I've noticed I am having trouble remembering names of graduates when they return in a year or five.  There are just too many names, too many students to keep them all straight.  And I don't like good byes.

So, after the diplomas are handed out, and they light up the cigars that we ask them pointedly not to smoke, and I hand in my august black gown, I will likely just slip away from the happy families and the crying friends. You've done what you can for them.  And under the concept of in loco parentis, it is time to let them go.

Plus, it's hotter than hell.  I mean c'mon.

No comments: