Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

This Fucking Guy

I wandered into my mom's room to help her with some tech stuff and Hair Furor was on the TV.  He was asked about the reports that we turned down Covid19 tests from the WHO.  He pivoted immediately to a butthurt rant about the media and the boring Democratic debate.

The more I think about the likely outcome of the pandemic, the less I think we will see the worst case scenarios. The key is to look at China and especially South Korea and Taiwan, as they begin to loosen restrictions. The problem is that as long as the virus exists among any human population, it remains a threat to the entire population that hasn't had it yet.

The somewhat draconian measures being taken in my home state should work to "flatten the curve" but what happens when it hits Texas, which is taking no statewide measures?  Or Connecticut and New York start to relax in mid-May only to have a cluster explode in Kansas? 

That's why having a bloviating sack of orange bile as president is so damaging. He is incapable of thinking about anything beyond himself.  I'm no saint, but I'm not especially concerned that I might die of the virus, despite being on the cusp of being at-risk because of my age (and apparently size). I'm terrified for my mother.  And your grand/mother. And so on.  Because I'm not a fucking sociopath.

Meanwhile, we still haven't be able to get an aid package through the GOP Senate.

No comments: