Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I'm A Fucking Mess

 I realize that Florida is a thin reed to place your hopes on, and things look decent for Biden in NC and OH (it's 9:15), but it turns out I have a massive case of PTSD. I'm nauseous, my heart is racing, I'm convinced everything is going to go to shit.

In 2018, the Blue Wave manifested over several days. I hope that happens here. Right now, it looks like the "Narrow Option" of Biden eking out a win in the Blue Wall, maybe Arizona. They flip a bare number of Senate seats to get a majority, maybe with Harris casting the tiebreaking vote. Legislation stalls. 

Or maybe a Blue Wave builds over the next few days and sweeps out some Senate seats that are too close to call at the end of the night.  All I know is this can't continue. The Republican Party is actively opposed to democratic rule, and yet they manage to win millions and millions of votes. Trump laid bare the nastiest elements of GOP philosophy and it simply did not matter to millions of Americans.

We are looking at historic levels of turnout. That SHOULD mean a massive repudiation of Trump, but apparently it means people who didn't vote for him last time - people unaffected by motivated reasoning - have decided to vote for him this time.

If Biden wins a narrow victory, then maybe we can go back to what was normal (and very bad) in 2012-2016. It should not have been narrow. 

I'm sickened by my countrymen right now.

No comments: