Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

It's Early, It's Late

 The presumption heading into this night is that we would not know the results on this night. As of 12:45AM, the Times has still not called GA, NC or TX. Maybe there are ballots in boxes somewhere. I know Atlanta hasn't counted its ballots.

But while we are still counting the votes, it's striking to look at how polarized the country is. (I should wait on this, but I can't sleep, so...)

States where Biden looks to win 60% of the vote:

VT, MA, NJ (maybe NY and CT, it will be close) MD, DE, CA, OR, WA. VA, IL and RI...I dunno.

But basically, the states that Biden has currently won, he has won with over 60% of the vote, with the exception of VA, RI, CO and NM.

States were Trump looks to win 60% of the vote:

IN, KY, TN, MI, AL, SC, LA, AR, OK, SD, ND, WY.

Instead, Trump is pulling out narrow victories in FL, OH, IA, likely MT, UT, TX, NC and GA.

Once again, Trump is winning the rural, white states by a lot and losing the ethnically diverse, socially liberal states by a lot.

I've argued that our separation or breaking up as a country is impossible, but maybe it's not. If the Northeast and Pacific Coast are opposed to Trump by 60%, that's enough to spark a secession movement, if he ekes out a win.

I hope Biden wins. And I hope the Red Sea between the coasts secedes and this time...fuck'em. I'm done.

No comments: