Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Unheard

 I've been struggling at work for months. Some of this is unprocessed trauma from trying to teach through Covid. Some is a continuing sense of disempowerment and that my voice is irrelevant. I have over two decades teaching experience at my school and my association with it goes back to 1982. I obviously care deeply about our mission.

I remember in the years of Abu Ghraib and Black Sites thinking that 9/11 broke something in us. We became a fearful nation. As we began to emerge from that, 2008 came and kneecapped us. We became a resentful nation. Then, as it looked like he might put Trump behind us, Covid came and disrupted everything. We became a traumatized nation.

None of this is good for our politics, obviously, but it's also just not good for us as people. I feel like I have an open wound that no one can see, but I can feel. I don't think, from my conversations and monitoring online discourse, that I am alone in this.

No idea what the solution would be. I was hoping Biden could come in and be boring, and we could go back to boring. But the world keeps ripping open our invisible wounds.

No comments: