Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, July 9, 2012

Today In Cooperstown


I have taken the Things on a road trip.

Today we went to Cooperstown and visited the Fenimore Cooper Art Gallery Baseball Hall of Fame.  At the beginning, they have a hokey video about baseball, but it ends with singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame".  I got weirdly choked up, especially when I saw Thing One, who is not especially interested in baseball, singing along.

Museums are tough with boys under the age of 10 15 20 25, even when it's baseball.  But they hung in there.  Probably the highlights were the "bloody sock" of Curt Schilling and the "Who's On First" video with Abbott and Costello.  After awhile they just can't focus on stuff.

We threw for a radar gun and I managed to beat the old fart's record for the day, but by the end I couldn't feel my hand.  That's not good, right?

Thing Two threw up early in the trip, so I pulled him up to the front seat with me, operating on the principle that sick kids should be treated like an adult, whereas sick adults should be treated like kids.

Tomorrow we head to Niagara Falls.  If it goes poorly, maybe I try the barrel.

No comments: