Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, August 30, 2012

It Pains Ezra Klein To Say It, But...


http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/30/a-not-very-truthful-speech-in-a-not-very-truthful-campaign/

Yeah, Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney are dreadful liars.

I don't know if this is an example of pained centrism dying beneath the lies or "I have come to bury Caesar, not to praise him", but it's an interesting tone.

Klein is pointing out that Ryan's speech was essentially fabricated from lies, hypocrisies and willful misconstruing of the facts.  But it's apparently very painful for him to admit that.

Anyway, he actually levels some pretty good attacks on Obama, which you can argue are plausible.  Ryan didn't use them.  Then - mother of Zeus - he actually compares Ryan's speech to Sarah Palin's.  And Palin comes off as Diogenes compared to the zombie eyed granny starver.

Ryan is a very gifted politician.  He is also a compelling liar.

But I repeat myself.

UPDATE: Chait shows how it's done:

The political blogosphere has taken apart Ryan’s brazen dishonesty brick by brick so that barely anything remains. I have been writing about his dishonesty for three years. I have the equivalent of a master’s degree in Ryan lie-ology. I’ve heard many of his lurid fantasies innumerable times and I haven’t got it in me to go through it all again — his deep dishonesty largely reflects the fundamental gap between the radicalism of his agenda and his need for public acceptance. I’ll merely point out that, even if all the smaller component dishonesties of Ryan’s speech were true, the larger points they undergirded were false as well.

No comments: