Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Thursday, August 2, 2012

John Conyers FTW

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/conyers_speaks_spanish_at_english-only_hearing_video.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

At the opening of a hearing on an English only bill, John Conyers made his opening statement in Spanish, which only made the GOP members point out that... Well, let's go to the actual article:


Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) delivered his opening statement in Spanish at a hearing on Thursday about an English-only bill proposed by House Republicans.
Republicans at the panel said Conyers’ speech actually supported their point.
“I would ask in the interest of fairness here, would you repeat that in Yiddish and Vietnamese and French, please,” Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) said after Conyers’ speech. “Nothing would make the point better than if we conducted all of our debates in different languages and I suppose that makes the case for this bill better than anything else.”
Rep. Steve King (R-IA) also said Conyer’s Spanish speech showed the needs for his bill.
“I was gonna start out with a Tower of Babble discussion, but I think I’ll pass on that. Mr. Conyers has perhaps made my point for me,” King said.


I don't know how many Hispanics live in Trent Franks' district, but I hope they register to vote.  I also hope the GOP keeps digging this demographic grave for themselves.

No comments: