Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

I'm Concerned

 I've been more sanguine than most about Democratic chances in the midterm. I think Dobbs and January 6th have legs and Republicans have nominated some awful candidates. I'm a little worried that fatigue has set in among Democratic voters, but I do think they will show up. My worry is that parties tend to know more than public polling lets on. 

What worries me is that high profile Republicans are actively stumping for Herschel Walker. This guy is literally brain damaged and massive dumpster fire of a human being. He's awful. He's a low cost way for them to signal that they actually have principles. "I can no longer support Mr. Walker in his campaign, because he's a massive hypocrite when it comes to the sanctity of the unborn." 

Instead, they are rushing to his aid. Maybe this is because they know they are losing elsewhere and Georgia remains close. I think they've given up on Arizona, for instance, and New Hampshire. But it sure looks like Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina and Florida are close races that they need to defend, and they are focusing on Walker? Are they seeing that those races are in the bag? 

Maybe they just suck at politics. Rick Scott burned through the NSCC's money like he was stealing from Medicare. Maybe this is just the millionth iteration of Cleek's Law and "pwning the libs." 

Still, if they were rallying around JD Vance or Ron Johnson, that would make me more sanguine that they were truly on the defensive.

No comments: