Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Long Dark Season

Take your pick

This time of year - February - is hard.  Friday, it was 60 degrees.  Today the wind chill has to be sub-zero.

Football is over.  Baseball has yet to begin.  There are these indoor abominations called basketball and hockey that we're supposed to care about, but honestly I can't care about a sport where you score 100 points or where you skate.  I suppose that's my problem.

But you can sense that winter is losing its grip.  Experience shows that winter won't last forever, but the immediacy of too-damned-cold makes you think it will never end.

Yesterday, the Most Ridiculously Overqualified and Talented Wife Ever discussed the possibility of pursuing a head of school option in Los Angeles.  I pretty much hated LA when I lived there, but looking at the school via a Google Earth satellite shot; it was so green.

I suppose you can get tired of perpetual summer, but it would be a nice change.

No comments: