Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Monday, February 14, 2011

No, Seriously, Happy Valentine's Day

Smile!

OK, so the last post may have engendered some confusion about how I feel about VDay.  In fact, I like it fine, I just have a warped sense of humor.

Today, I can categorically call a good day.  The sun was out, the temperatures soared into the high 40s.  Almost half the roof is snow-free and there are actual patches of earth visible here and there.

I'm only slightly behind in my grading, which is good by my standards.  We're doing the Great Depression in US History, which I love teaching.  I finally redeemed my credit cards points (I didn't know how earlier) and I have shiny new Sony Bravia HDTV sitting to my right.  The Hound of the Basketcase has successfully weathered her babymaker-removal and is back to her usual nonsense.

Thing One got a bunch of grades in the mid 90s on his spelling/grammar tests and a 103 on his geology test (suck on that, grade inflation).  Thing Two got 100s on his spelling tests, because that's the way the dude rolls. The Things and I went to K-Mart yesterday to get some special Valentine's stuff.  Thing One got his "special Valentine" a charm bracelet for $3.99, so he's already smoother than I am.  Thing Two went big and bought earrings for his teacher with his tooth fairy money.  He went $7.99 large.  For his teacher.  With his own money.  That he got from having a tooth pulled.

I made a wonderful meal for the Loveliest, Most Delightful, Rapturously Beautiful Wife In The Whole History of the World.  (Pureed Sweet Potatoes with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger/Uncle Ben's Wild Rice with Craisins and a honey drizzle/pan seared, Moroccan spiced filet mignon - salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, delmarra sugar and pepper - with a nice bottle of Pinot Noir -- in case you were wondering)

Tomorrow and Wednesday I will be on dorm duty.  Thursday through Sunday, the LMDRB Wife ITHWHOTW will be at Model Congress.  On Sunday night she will be chaperoning the prom.  Next week I will begin accumulating a series of assignments that will keep me grading until St. Patrick's Day.

But tonight, let us sing deep the song of love.

For here in February, we are noticing the days getting longer, the sun lingering in the sky later, and pitchers and catchers have reported.  A dictator is deposed and this kid is awesome.

So, as I said, sing deep the song of love.

Like, Barry White deep.

No comments: