Blog Credo

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H.L. Mencken

Saturday, April 27, 2024

GooGoo is Good

Good government (goo-goo) advocates are largely dismissed as Leslie Knope clones - government nerds who care about things like increasing the hours that Meals on Wheels are available. Really savvy people don't fall for that crap, when there's things like Joe Biden's age to cover.

But this past week has seen some really important goo-goo advances. I for one am ecstatic about the new rules that require airlines to automatically pay you for cancelled flights, lost luggage and absent services. The last year, I've been lucky to travel quite a bit, but last June, American Airlines made the first part of a really phenomenal vacation really unpleasant. They cancelled a flight after we had all gotten on the plane, rescheduled me on a much later flight where I had to run through Dulles to make my connection and then lost my luggage for almost a week. I got some money to buy some clothes and toiletries, but I spent several days unable to get my luggage, despite being able to clearly see where it was because of an AirTag I had in the suitcase. Then a month later, my son had a flight on American canceled on him, too, and wound up sleeping on the floor of the Phoenix airport.

The new rules to disincentivize airlines' terrible customer service is such an unbelievably overdue idea and one that Republicans would simply never entertain. Same goes for expanding overtime rules and especially getting rid of non-compete clauses.

Of the many threats that Donald Trump's return to the White House would encompass, one of the most underrated is his open threat to destroy the federal bureaucracy. Trump wants to cripple the ability of the federal government to work for the average person, because he ultimately wants the government to help the rich and stroke his ego. 

Kings don't care about peasants; democrats do.

No comments: